Free Consultation: (317) 964-6000Tap to Call This Lawyer
Aaron J. Harshman
  • Criminal Law, DUI & DWI, Domestic Violence
  • Indiana
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldBlawg SearchSocial Media

Aaron Harshman is an experienced criminal defense attorney in Indianapolis with over 10 years of legal experience. He has worked for the State of Indiana as a Deputy Prosecutor, Director of the Board of Nursing, and as the Hendricks County Prosecuting Attorney. Aaron has also worked as a Deputy Prosecuting Attorney for both the Hancock and Tippecanoe County Prosecutor's Offices.

He obtained his J.D. from Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law in 2012 with a focus on criminal law. During law school, he was involved in various activities and societies, including the Moot Court Order of the Barristers and the Criminal Law Society, which helped him gain a deeper understanding of criminal law and develop his litigation skills.

As a designated Special Prosecutor handling crimes against women, He prepared and litigated hundreds of domestic violence and achieved fair and just outcomes even when the facts were messy.

Aaron is currently a Partner at Harshman Ponist Smith & Rayl, where he provides high-quality legal representation and advice to his clients. He is committed to continuing to provide his knowledge and skills to serve his clients' needs.

Practice Areas
Criminal Law
Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
Domestic Violence
Domestic Violence Criminal Defense, Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Victims Rights
  • Free Consultation
    I offer a free consultation prior to taking any case.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Indiana Supreme Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Harshman Ponist Smith & Rayl, LLC
- Current
Harshman Legal, LLC
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
J.D. (2012)
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law Logo
Indiana Wesleyan University
B.A. (2005) | Religion and Philosophy
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
Indianapolis Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Aaron J. Harshman's Website Profile
Harshman Ponist Smith & Rayl, LLC Website
Indiana Business Law Blog
Indiana Law Blog
Legal Answers
3 Questions Answered
Q. What's the possible outcome of me getting pulled over again?
A: Driving offenses can stack up quickly if one is not careful. Generally speaking, the progression moves from multiple driving while suspended as an infraction, to multiple driving while suspended as a misdemeanor, then being declared a Habitual Traffic Violator as a felony offense. Do whatever you can to get a valid license before this streak turns into a felony, please!

Contact an attorney local to you (either do web searches or contact the local bar association) and find someone that will help you understand what you need to do to get a valid license. Attempt to get all those steps done prior to resolving your current or next driving while suspended case. It is often the case that the prosecutor will offer something less than the standard conviction if you can get a valid license.

Good luck!
... Read More
Q. My fiance is in jail in Fulton county Indiana on a level 3 Dealing in meth felony charge he's been in jail since July
A: I'm sorry to hear about your fiancé's situation.

First, do anything reasonable to establish communication with his current attorney so you can understand what work he is doing on the case. Many times, it is unclear what is happening on a case, and it is essential to establish communication if possible to understand what the attorney’s approach and reasoning is. I recommend making sure that some of your attempts to connect are done in writing.

Second, if you cannot establish good communication or trust in current counsel, you may want to consider contacting a local bar association or Lawyer Referral Service. They can provide you with contact information for attorneys in your area who specialize in criminal law. These attorneys may be able to offer guidance on your fiancé's situation and help you understand his legal options.

Your fiancé has the right to a fair trial and the assistance of counsel. If he feels that his attorney is not providing adequate representation, he may want to consider requesting a new court-appointed attorney or retaining a private attorney.
... Read More
Q. what should i do if im a minor getting charged with possesion of drugs
A: Step 1 is to contact an attorney local to you. Do web searches or contact your local bar association and find out who can do a free consultation for you. Hopefully, you and your parents or guardians can talk through the case to understand what your risks and options are.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Harshman Ponist Smith & Rayl, LLC
3650 N Washington Blvd
Indianapolis, IN 46205
Telephone: (317) 964-6000
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.