Free Consultation: (888) 896-3313
Offers Video Chat
Tap to Call This Lawyer
Aaron A. Pelley

Aaron A. Pelley

Helping a Select Group of Growers, Processors and Retailers Build a Legacy
  • Cannabis & Marijuana Law
  • Washington
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileOffers Video ChatQ&ALII GoldSocial Media

A founding member of the Cannabis Defense Coalition Legal Committee and a lifetime member of the NORML Legal Committee. Aaron has been a tireless advocate in the War on Drugs and the legalization movement. His passion for this new realm of practice led to the launch of Cultiva and the formation of a boutique law firm unsurpassed in cannabis law.
In addition to representing cannabis clients and their business interests, Aaron has earned a reputation for effective high profile litigation. His representative cases convey his ability to handle a diversity of complex legal matters. He has also been invited to speak at Legal Education Seminars and Cannabis Conferences throughout the world and has been repeatedly named a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers and a Top Cannabis Attorney by multiple publications. Aaron is personally and professionally passionate about advancing the interests of a legitimate and integrous cannabis industry, establishing and enforcing equitable relationships among business partners, and supporting and promoting the end of the war on cannabis.

Practice Area
  • Cannabis & Marijuana Law
Video Chat and Conferencing
  • Google Hangouts
  • Zoom
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Senior Attorney
Pelley Law, PLLC
Willamette University College of Law
J.D. | Law
Willamette University College of Law Logo
Top 100 Trial Lawyers
National Trial Lawyers
Super Lawyer
Thomson Reuters Super Lawyer
Cannabis Law Review
Top 200 Cannabis Lawyers
Top 100 Trial Lawyers
National Trial Lawyers
Top Cannabis Trial Lawyers
MG Magazine
Top 100 Trial Lawyers
National Trial Lawyer
Top 100 Trial Lawyers
National Trial Lawyers Association
Top Lawyer
Metropolitan Magazine
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
Top Attorneys
Metropolitan Magazine
Rising Star
Super Lawyer
Professional Associations
National Cannabis Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws
Legal Committee Member
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
30 Powerful Cannabis Attorneys You Should Know
MG Retailer
Impacts of Legalized Marijuana on Firearms Rights
State Bar Association
Law With an Apple
American Bar Association GP Solo: Law Trends and News
Speaking Engagements
Recreational Marijuana Business Law , Federal Responses to Marijuana Law
Cannabis Genetics and the Current Legal Landscape , Indoor Agricultural Conference , Las Vegas, NV
K&L Gates Event , Investing in Cannabis , K&L Gates
CAIA Association
Marijuana Law - A Comprehensive Overview , How Did We Get Here? Overview of Initiative I-502
Branding for Retailers in the Cannabis Industry , National Marijuana Retail & Dispensary Expo
US v. Oregon: Examining the Role of Federalism Under the Trump Administration , Law Review Symposium
International Cannabis Business Conference , The ABCs of CBDs
The Legalized Marijuana Industry and its Impact on Industrial Real Estate , Urban Land Institute Spring Meeting
Navigating Cannabis Laws , Seattle Canna Con
Recreational Marijuana Business Law , Obtaining a Cannabis Business License
Intellectual Property Litigation , MJBA Business Bootcamp
Brand Creation, Differentiation & Leadership , Cannabis Grand Cru
Developing an Effective Business Strategy , 3rd Annual Cannabis Collaborative Conference
Legal Hurdles, Managing Risk, Lessons Learning from Others Mistakes, & Protecting your Tribe , The Third Native American Cannabis Conference
Compliance Law Review , The Best In Marijuana Design & Packaging 2016
Advising Cannabis Business , Weed Week PDX
Compliance Law Review , The Best In Marijuana Design & Packaging 2016
Medical & Recreational Cannabis , Cannabis Litigation
Legal Answers
2 Questions Answered

Q. Can I legally grow 2 plants of hemp with a the content of .03% or lower? It is strictly for personal use .
A: Division 24 of the California Food and Agricultural Code provides for the cultivation of industrial hemp by registered growers, hemp breeders, and established agricultural research institutions. Regardless of any federal requirements, all hemp growers in California must comply with existing state laws and regulations as well as any local restrictions that may apply. You can go here for info on local rules.
Q. Do I need a special type of business license to sell growing equipment to the marijuana growers?
A: Most states do not require a specific license, except a business license (and perhaps City license) to work in the areas you have described. However, as ridiculous as it sounds, you are still subject to Federal Prosecution, as those who sell certain precursor chemicals, specialized equipment, or simply offer to help produce marijuana may also may be charged with the federal crimes. So far, we have not seen any meaningful Federal enforcement in State's that have moved to full recreational cannabis laws. It would be important to note these state's has decriminalized and created robust legal oversight. However, some places this is still considered a crime. You need to do a state-by-state analysis to make sure you are not delivering where it is illegal at the State level as both State and Federal prosecutors may be able to be able to prosecute you. The issue is not if it is legal in your state, it also matters where you deliver. If you need an example of someone thinking they were going to be just fine, given how progressive things are read and the charming Fed from Beaver Falls.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Cultiva Law, PC
Corporate Counsel for the Cannabis Industry
877 Bryant St Suite 300
San Francisco, CA 94103
Telephone: (628) 204-1100
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: 10 AM - 1 PM
Sunday: Closed
Cultiva Law PC
Corporate Counsel for the Cannabis Industry
520 S. Grand Ave Suite 320
Los Angeles, CA 90071
Telephone: (213) 306-6800
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Cultiva Law, PLLC
2510 Western Ave
Suite 500
Seattle, WA 98121
Toll-Free: (888) 896-3313
Telephone: (206) 480-1600
Monday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Thursday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: 9 AM - 1 PM
Sunday: Closed
Cultiva Law, PLLC
222 NW Davis Street
Suite 420
Portland, OR 97209
Telephone: (503) 446-3640
Monday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 8 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Thursday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.