McKiggan Hebert Lawyers
The Halifax law firm of McKiggan Hebert Lawyers provides peace of mind to people who have suffered serious injuries by getting them fair compensation and legal accountability. McKiggan Hebert Lawyers represents plaintiffs in car and truck accident cases, medical malpractice matters, birth injuries, sexual abuse claims, traumatic brain injury (TBI), and spinal cord injury claims.
Founding partner John McKiggan Q.C. is a passionate advocate for survivors of sexual abuse by clergy, priests and other institutions. He is widely recognized for successfully representing survivors of clergy sexual abuse in the first successful class action against the Roman Catholic Church. He has dedicated 25 years to representing victims of medical malpractice and to educating the public about health and medical safety issues.
Associate Mark Raftus has almost two decades of experience advocating for the rights of car accident victims and representing plaintiffs in other complicated personal injury claims.
In addition to their decades of legal experience, the firm's attorneys have deep roots in Canada's Nova Scotia community.
John McKiggan volunteers with EndDD.org speaking to students in schools about the dangers of distracted driving. He is the Canadian spokesperson for Kidsandcars.org a consumer safety organization that advocates for motor vehicle safety. He has been a volunteer board member of the Brain Injury Association of Nova Scotia (BIANS) Halifax chapter. John is also past President of the Atlantic Provinces Trial Lawyers' Association.
Brian Hebert is a volunteer board member of the Atlantic Provinces Trial LawyersÃ¢?? Association and has had a long volunteer relationship with L'Arche Halifax. He is also coaches basketball for the ABA Celtics basketball club.
Mark Raftus partnered to re-establish the Dartmouth North Central Baseball Club in 2009 and has served as Vice President since its re-inception. Mark has sat on the Board of the Dartmouth District Minor Baseball Association and has coached with Dartmouth North Central and the Dartmouth Arrows. Mark has also coached all levels of basketball from junior mini boys/girls to the high school boys level for Dartmouth High School, ABA Celtics and the Dartmouth Lakers.
- Estabrooks Class Action Certified, City of Saint John to Appeal
15 February 2017
- Pope decides not to prosecute Bishops who covered up for priest sex abusers
9 June 2016
- 3 Priests to stand trial for covering up sex abuse: Now what about the rest?
9 May 2016
- Jian Ghomeshi and the Burden of Proof in Sexual Abuse Claims
1 February 2016
- What is the Burden of Proof in Sexual Abuse Claims? “How do I prove my claim?”
1 November 2015
- Sexual Abuse Claims at Nova Scotia School for the Deaf
30 October 2015
- Nova Scotia’s New Limitation Act Helps Sexual Abuse Victims
4 September 2015
- Documentary Provides Healing to Victims of Ex-Priest and Scout Leader Ralph Rowe
13 May 2015
- Sex Assault Acquittal Highlights Differences in Burden of Proof Between Criminal and Civil Claims
30 December 2014
- “My Neighbour’s Dog Bit My Child. What Can I Do?”
26 April 2017
- Good news from the Supreme Court of Canada for injured victims of underinsured drivers
17 February 2017
- Is my Nova Scotia “Minor Injury” claim capped at $7500.00?
3 February 2017
- Let’s help make pedestrians safer on Spring Garden Road in Halifax
30 June 2016
- How “buying Canadian” can protect your family when vacation injuries strike
15 May 2016
- Protecting Pedestrians with Innovative Ideas
16 February 2016
- Where do most car accidents happen in Halifax? The answer may surprise you.
30 January 2016
- Update from Halifax Teacher of the Month Winner
25 January 2016
- Good news in the battle against pedestrian-car collisions.
22 January 2016
- Client Success Story: Cullan Chisholm heads to T.O. for National Challenger Baseball Jamboree
30 June 2016
- Misdiagnosis of Neck/Back Pain can lead to Medical Malpractice Claims
4 November 2015
- Most People will be misdiagnosed in their lifetime: Why aren’t doctors more concerned?
25 September 2015
- Doctor Tries to Shut Down Med Malpractice Lawsuit by Suing Victim’s Lawyers: Frank v. Legate et. al.
22 September 2015
- What’s the most dangerous time to go to the hospital? The answer may surprise you.
11 September 2015
- Informed consent in medical malpractice claims.
10 February 2015
- Medical Malpractice Claims against Doctors Continue to Drop: But is it because of improvements in medical care?
19 September 2014
- Are Overworked Nurses Causing Medical Errors?
19 August 2014
- Nova Scotia Medical Errors Registry a Step in the Right Direction: Still a Long Way to go
18 August 2014